Saturday, August 4, 2012

LobStEr SEaSoN

August 1st marked the start of lobster season. Here in the Bahamas we are allowed to spear them, there is a limit per boat or per person but i'm not sure what it is, all we know is if there is a Bahamian on the boat we can have as many as we want! Our friend Alex is a Bahamian, he invited us so we said yea! I don't spear but I snorkel around and take pictures, or drive the boat, I also take the lobster from the spears and make sure they go in the live well....just so the boys don't have to get out of the water to do that then get back in, makes it easier if someone is on the boat you can pass stuff to. We had extra spears so I decided to carry one with me, not sure if i'd use the darn thing and I had no clue how to use it properly, but there I was with spear in hand swimming around looking for lobster. I had a quick lesson from Darin in the water, "hold here, pull this back, aim and let go", easy enough I guess. I was swimming behind darin a little ways back and spotted a lobster with his head out of the hole. I did what Darin told me to and missed, tried my second shot and I hit him!!! He went back up into the hole a little but when I swam back down to grab the pole, he came out with it! I swam to the boat and handed my lobster to Alex. I was and still am pretty impressed with myself, I feel like one of the cool guys that spears stuff, so now I can actually say i'm a lobster hunter and successfully killed dinner. That may be to over the top but i'm just proud of myself. Here's a little peek of some photos from our morning out catching lobster!

No comments:

Post a Comment